19:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Birmingham New Street

Old 24th September 2008, 13:24
Registered Member

Birmingham New Street

From the Railnews pages.
Birmingham New Street ‘right answer for 20-30 years’ — Minister
Posted: 23rd September 2008
THE Minister for the West Midlands has dismissed MPs’ criticisms of plans to redevelop Birmingham New Street station, saying the existing station is “the right answer for the next two or three decades.”

Last July the Parliamentary Transport Select Committee published a report describing the plans to redevelop New Street station as cosmetic, and said: “We are not convinced that the current project is adequate. The government must address the issue of whether Birmingham New Street is ever going to be able to accommodate the throughput of trains required in two or three decades, when the number of services might have doubled.

“If the station cannot be adapted to such throughputs, then the government must look for alternative solutions now.”

But, according to a report in The Birmingham Post, the West Midlands’ Minister—Liam Byrne, MP for Birmingham Hodge Hill—has rejected the Transport Committee’s criticism and dismissed calls for a new station, called Birmingham Grand Central, to be built about a mile east of New Street station.

The Grand Central plan has been promoted for several years by Murray Rayner, the man behind Birmingham’s highly successful Bullring shopping centre, and the major civil engineering group, Arup. It has gained the support of many professional railway operators, and the lobby group RailFuture.

But The Birmingham Post reported Liam Byrne saying New Street station should be seen in the context of a range of improvements to the region’s transport infrastructure.

Asked if Grand Central should be part of these improvements, he said: “I don’t think so. As part of a massive programme of investment in infrastructure across the region, New Street remains the right answer for the next two or three decades.”

He added: “I think the Transport Select Committee got a little bit hung up on New Street in and of itself, and I think they failed to appreciate the wider ambitions of the whole scale transformation of the West Midlands transport network
Below in artists impression of inside the new-look Birmingham New Street station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New St.jpg (75.7 KB, 8 views)

Old 25th September 2008, 11:26
Station Manager

Locojoe,

Strangely we were discussing the New Street Project in the mess room at Wirksworth on Tuesday and the views of the time served railwaymen present were interesting .

The consensus of opinion seemed to be that the project was purely cosmetic and would do little to improve railway traffic flows through the station.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 25th September 2008, 13:07

The cosmetics look great and will improve the atmosphere greatly but I dont believe any operating improvements can be made due to capacity limits of the tunnels either side of the station in particular the wolverhampton and cross city end. I think personally a brand new station including approaches needs to be built but could the huge investment ever be found or justified to the bean counters.
Regards

www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Old 25th September 2008, 22:10
Station Manager

What we really need are leaders with the vision to make the leap of faith necessary to grasp the nettle and get on with it!

The pigs are fueled and ready at the end of the runway!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 25th September 2008, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
What we really need are leaders with the vision to make the leap of faith necessary to grasp the nettle and get on it......................
I know where there's some railway loving politicians like that
http://www.admin.ch/index.html?lang=en
Old 26th September 2008, 12:50
Station Manager

Thanks for that John!

Sadly I can't afford to move to Swizerland!

Best wishes,

John H-T