16:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

From The Bt Police Site.

Old 6th February 2008, 11:58
Registered Member

From The Bt Police Site.

FROM THE BT POLICE SITE.
05/02/2008 10:45
POLICE APPEAL AFTER TRAIN WINDSCREEN SMASHED IN CROSSGATES, LEEDS

British Transport Police (BTP) is appealing for any information after a train windscreen was smashed as it was passing through the Crossgates area of Leeds at around 14.35hrs on Sunday 3 February.

The First TransPennine Express service from Newcastle to Manchester Piccadilly was approaching a footbridge at Sutton Approach when an unknown object was thrown at the train from the bridge smashing the windscreen's inner and outer skin; fortunately no-one was injured.

British Transport Police were called and searched the area in question, including but there was no trace of any suspects.

Inspector Tracy Metcalf of British Transport Police said

“It’s vital that we catch the person/ persons involved in this incident. The driver of the train was extremely shocked and very lucky not to have been seriously injured. I cannot emphasise strongly enough the dangers associated with this type of crime.

“Throwing objects at trains is a form of criminal damage and we will arrest anyone found committing such an act.

“There is also potential for a serious accident or injury to be caused to passengers as a result of these offences.I would urge anyone who was in or around that area around the time of the incident and who may witnessed anything or have any information that may help us with our inquiries to contact us in strict confidence on freefone 0800 405040 quoting incident number 222 3/2/2008”.

Edith Rodgers, customer services director at First TransPennine Express, said: “People who throw objects at trains need to realise that they are aiming at people and this is extremely dangerous.

“There is no justification for this kind of behaviour and the railway should not be used as a playground. We will not tolerate anybody who tries to jeopardise the safety of our passengers and staff and are working closely with the British Transport Police to investigate this further.”

Old 6th February 2008, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojoe View Post
“There is no justification for this kind of behaviour and the railway should not be used as a playground. We will not tolerate anybody who tries to jeopardise the safety of our passengers and staff and are working closely with the British Transport Police to investigate this further.”
This might sound like nitpicking, but I'm sick and tired of the BT police making out that this kind of potentially murderous behaviour is tantamount to using the railway as a playground. To me it trivialises the incident, both in the minds of the general public, and also in what passes for minds of the idiot perpetrators.

When I was a trainspotter, I did treat the railway as a playground. I sat by the side of the track, or on a station platform, and enjoyed the sight of the railway at work. Not once did my 'play' endanger myself, the general public or any member of staff.
Old 7th February 2008, 04:43
Registered Member

Angry BT police

[QUOTE=Trev;To me it trivialises the incident, both in the minds of the general public, and also in what passes for minds of the idiot perpetrators.
When I was a trainspotter, I did treat the railway as a playground. [/QUOTE]

I certainly agree with what you say Trev, these mindless idiots are not playing. They are criminals and should be treated as such.