19:01

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Any locomotive maintenance technicians out there?

Old 9th November 2008, 22:50

Any locomotive maintenance technicians out there?

I need your help!!

Im looking to try and find an apprenteship to train as a rolling stock maintenance and repair technician, preferably for diesel freight trains.

But i simply cannot find any useful information on how to go about this!

So, if your a technician / Mechanic...then how did you get into the industry?
And does anyone have any useful tips or can point me in the right direction?

Any help out there would be VERY VERY Much apprecieated.

Thanks much!

Lewis.

Old 10th November 2008, 12:20

Hi Lewy, welcome to the forum.

There is a tremendous skills shortage on the railway at the moment, so even with the Recession looming there is a requirement for technical staff. In this month's copy of Railnews, Network Rail is crying out for new blood.

There is a good source of employers here....http://www.railwayregister.care4free...S%20&%20DEPOTS

Although that page is called "How to become a Train Driver" it contains useful adressess for all the major employers.

If it really is filthy old locos that you fancy (and I don't mean that disrespectfully to all the FOC men and women out there ), then you should seek out EWS, GBRf, Freightliner (both Heavyhaul & Intermodal), & DRS.

Don't forget that some TOCs also have diesel traction and the occasional loco.

Additionally there is plenty of diesel on-track machinery which needs alot of loving. Colas, Fastline, etc are the people to approach.

Don't be shy, you've gotta to do some legwork. It's perfectly normal to make speculative phone calls in the modern Rail Industry, and sometimes you can just speak to the right person at the time. Get on the phone and find out what's available. If any of them treat you with contempt then you know you don't want to go there !

(Trust me - as a Passenger Train driver trying to get over onto the freight side, I spend half my life making cold calls !!)

Good Luck,
FP

Last edited by Flying Pig; 10th November 2008 at 15:31. Reason: disgraceful grammar, OMG ;o(
Old 10th November 2008, 13:51

Welcome to the forum Lewy, and good luck with the apprenticeship.
I had 40 years in engineering and enjoyed it all of the time.
Paul.
Old 10th November 2008, 14:40
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Lewy,

Can I suggest getting involved with a Preserved railway as a volunteer while you are serching for a job. You will gain useful experience and have something to talk about at the interview!

I am involved in overhauling an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0T at present. I have no previous experience and am learning all the time! See set of photos on spliting the boiler in my gallery.

Good luck and best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 10th November 2008, 18:06

Hi Flying Pig,

Thanks for you help! A lot of good advice there, very kind of you.

However, my next stumbling block is depot's. I live in Ipswich and as far as i know, there are no maintenance depots near here (I've checked a few such as freightliner)

And moving to be nearer a depot isnt much of a choice for a pennyless 18 year old.

Old 10th November 2008, 19:10

Well Lewy, all is not lost. It isn't unusual for 18 year olds to be penniless. I know I was at that age. If you can convince a company that you're keen and trustworthy they may invest in you. God knows there seems to be shortage of young people who seriously want to do hard work on the railway.

Freightliner doesn't have maintenance depots in your part of the world, but it does have terminals at Ipswich & Felixstowe. There are such things as travelling fitters, who work from home and have their own van.

Additionally a company might put you in lodgings whilst you train. If you're prepared to live away from home for a while (and it can be fun ) then that might be an opening for you. Since there always seems to be a shortage of engineers, they may consider relocating you.

You really should get in touch with NXEA. If I have my geography right they are your local operator. If you could secure an apprentiship with them to work on passenger units you can always transfer to a FOC later and your skills would still be relevant (even locos have electric motors nowadays). It's ALWAYS worth getting your foot in the door in the rail industry, insiders usually get first news of the new jobs.

Also as has been suggested here, if nothing turns up immediately, do some voluntary work. Then when you get an interview you may find yourself comparing experiences of vintage traction with the engineer on the panel. Employers DO appreciate it when candidates have got stuck in. (I went to an interview once and when the Driver Manager saw what I'd been up to we spent 10 minutes laughing about how crap Networkers are - He'd been on the commissioning panel)

I firmly believe that if you're young and enthusiastic you'll make it. It may not happen overnight, but persistence wins the day. You want to do a job where there is a shortage of manpower, so at least the odds are on your side.

Good Luck,
FP

Last edited by Flying Pig; 10th November 2008 at 19:12.
Old 11th November 2008, 12:51

Thanks for the superb help again!

I've always seen a bunch of freightliner Class 66's at Ipswich station by the 'shed' which seems to be an office. But there never seems to be much going on there.

And just this morning i send an email to NXEA As i found out they have a depot in Norwich.

The travelling fitters is a new thing to me, but sounds quite interesting. I'll have to see if i can find anything else about it.

Thanks once again!
Old 14th October 2009, 16:14

Lewy, Did you ever find an apprenticeship ?