02:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

New train named after university (BBC News)

Old 7th March 2010, 16:26

New train named after university (BBC News)

A new train is to be named after The University of Worcester in honour of it being awarded university status five years ago, First Great Western says.

More from BBC News...

Old 7th March 2010, 17:27

A whole load of journalistic ignorance of railways in that one , "Power Car Train"? New? DUR! Another meeja course graduate.

Fed up with 'em, 62440.
Old 7th March 2010, 17:41

That sort of reporting really annoys me......I bet they would never make errors like that about anything else, Power Car Train grrrrrrrrrr! lol

Thats almost annoying as the press and un-inciated habit of adding a 'The' infront of locomotive names that are not prempted with a 'the' (For example the is a picture of Sherwood Forester hauling The Jacobite on Google Earth ant the caption states "The Sherwood Forester")
Old 7th March 2010, 20:08

"The institution began life as an overflow teacher training college for the University of Birmingham and was awarded full university status in 2005".

Ah now, Birmingham, that is a proper university!
Old 7th March 2010, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Mouse View Post
That sort of reporting really annoys me......I bet they would never make errors like that about anything else, Power Car Train grrrrrrrrrr! lol

Thats almost annoying as the press and un-inciated habit of adding a 'The' infront of locomotive names that are not prempted with a 'the' (For example the is a picture of Sherwood Forester hauling The Jacobite on Google Earth ant the caption states "The Sherwood Forester")
Listen, this is not personal, but you have made more mistakes in your post than he has in his article. We can't all be good at everything, and he has just tried to interpret what he was told, or what he read in the press release. His errors would not invalidate his article to most readers, who would either not be that interested anyway or would say "ooh that's nice, I went there for my diploma in aromatherapy."

So, to correct your bit:

Not "Thats almost annoying as the press and un-inciated habit of adding a 'The' infront of locomotive names that are not prempted with a 'the'"

That's almost as annoying as the press and uninitiated habit of adding a 'The' in front of locomotive names that are not preceded with a 'the'

These mistakes do not really annoy me, they just emphasise that very few people get everything right to the last and finest detail, they just do their best. And yes, they would probably "make errors like that about anything else", it's just you either wouldn't know or wouldn't be that bothered.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:09

To be honest, spelling and grammar are, at least on the forums I visit, poor these days, and it's not only the younger generation.

But, as was proved on here a while ago, that does not normally stop us understanding what the poster is trying to convey.

None of us are perfect (well I'm not ) but we seem sometimes to expect perfection in others.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:19

Indeed pre65, for example I believe the plural of "Forum" is "Fora."

But I agree with your last post nonetheless!
Some people who contribute to sites like these in writing show signs to me that they may have dyslexia (not uncommon although there are those who argue that it does not exist - but there is scientific evidence to prove that it does) and therefore writing one's thoughts down electronically is not as easy for some as for others.
Dyslexia is also an anagram of daily sex but that's not important right now.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
Indeed pre65, for example I believe the plural of "Forum" is "Fora."

Dyslexia is also an anagram of daily sex but that's not important right now.
Yes, you are right. I'm not old enough, or clever enough to have studied Latin !

Dyslexia IS more common than most people think and I suffer mildly when using the keyboard, but daily sex is another matter. Some chance.
Old 8th March 2010, 03:59

Dispite a few basic spelling gramma mistakes I am sure most people understood what I was trying to say and maybe agree with me. Spelling has not always been my strong point but that does not mean I have no right to state my opinion. I've noticed on many boards people are very quick to try and discredit others and to be fair this board is better than others on this.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:03

I agree you have every right to state your opinion, and I was not trying to discredit you. Apologies if it came across that way.

I understood your original post OK, just as I found the news article about the "power car train" OK, and understood what he was trying to say.

Peace?